CARES Women’s Program will be a holistic women’s program designed to empower and provide gender-responsive services to women who are re-entering their communities after incarceration. It is our belief that through the power of self-awareness, healing, and connection, our clients can build and maintain a meaningful life for themselves, their loved ones, and their communities.
- Eligibility – Pre-release: Women of any age with one year (or less) of incarceration remaining. Post-release: Women of any age who have not been out of incarceration for more than 12-months.
- Program Length – Up to three years of program enrollment, including up to one year of pre-release services and two years of post-release services. Follow-up services will also be provided upon client request after post-release services have ended.
- Services – In addition to the women-specific services, participants will have access to the full VA CARES General Program (i.e. MOST/OST, Motivational Interviewing, job readiness, employment placement, and more).
- Monthly empowerment workshops to help diminish barriers and improve access. Workshops will include parenting, healthy living, self-care and self-love, and more.
- Supportive services, including connections to transitional housing, mental health and substance abuse treatment, transportation, and childcare. If clients need assistance obtaining their license, birth certificate, social security card or other important documentation, case management staff will assist or offer guidance.
- Employment and education opportunities in partnership with local colleges and employers to connect clients with educational and vocational training opportunities, apprenticeships, financial resources specifically for education/training, tutoring, literacy programs, and school documentation assistance. An additional aspect of the peer groups will be group study opportunities.